It is the role of consent authorities to appoint decision-makers to RMA hearing panels.
Under section 39B the RMA, appointees on hearing panels must have accreditation to make decisions on:
- applications for resource consent
- notice of requirements given under section 168 or 189
- requests under clause 21(1) of Schedule 1 for a change to be made to a plan
- reviews of resource consents
- applications to change or cancel resource consent conditions
- proposed policy statements and plans that have been notified
- any hearing of an objection under section 357C of the RMA.
The requirement is for all members of RMA hearing panels given authority by a local authority under sections 33, 34, or 34A to be accredited, unless there are exceptional circumstances.