In 2017, 2020 and 2021 the Freshwater Improvement Fund administered environmental funding for:
- reduction of sediment eroding from the land
- wetland construction and restoration
- stream reinstatements
- estuary protection and restoration
- restoration of fish passage
- job creation
- building capacity and capability in freshwater management and restoration.
Some of the funding came from the $1.3 billion Jobs for Nature environmental programme.
Visit Jobs for Nature - Mahi mō te Taiao to see what other funding programmes are available.
The 2020 and 2021 funding from the Freshwater Improvement Fund is expected to achieve the following outcomes.
- Application of animal pest control to 26,454 hectares.
- Ecosystem restoration of 14,000 hectares.
- Freshwater restoration of 377 hectares.
- Plant pest control of 1176 hectares.
- 544 km of protective fencing.
- Remediation of 1,631 fish passages.
- Planting of 1,608,555 plants.