There is a need to strengthen various legislative provisions to support the wide-ranging government work programme for waste. This programme includes for example regulated product stewardship and a national plastics action plan.
Strengthened legislation will support the new waste strategy for New Zealand by providing tools and incentives to transform the waste sector and help transition to a more circular and resource-efficient economy.
- Looking at how provisions within the Waste Minimisation Act 2008 and Litter Act 1979 could be improved or amended.
- Considering new provisions not already in these Acts.
Due to upcoming changes to the waste levy regime we also need to:
- revise what levy funds can be used for by central and local government
- enhance administrative and decision-making processes to invest levy funds more effectively.
- In the first half of 2021, we will focus on gathering evidence and developing draft legislative proposals.
- Public consultation on possible legislative changes will be held in the second half of 2021.